This is something we try from time to time, with varied success. We’re trying it again. Sunday is Make Day. This is the day we make All The Things for the coming week.
A few reasons for this:
- Electricity is stupid expensive where we live. And there’s variable rates depending on load periods. So it’s cheaper to use electricity on evenings and weekends.
- We’re both pretty serious about meal planning now, and having most of our food for the week prepped makes that easier.
- We just plain like making our own stuff. It’s not always cheaper than buying. I thought it would be, but it’s actually not. But we know what’s what and can control ingredients.
It takes time! It’s a commitment. But it’s kind of fun, it’s something we can do together (or apart),
Sunday is Make Day. No day is snake day.
It’s important to stress that while Sunday is Make Day, there is no snake day. That would be terrible. We’re both kind of scared of snakes.
So on today’s rota…
- Hamburger buns
- Steel cut oats (breakfast for me for the week)
- Soy milk
- Vegan mozzarella
- Coconut bacon
- Buy and prep lettuce and vegetables for salads
- Some sort of dessert for the week
- Probably other stuff I’ve forgotten
This is one of those areas where I feel like privilege comes into play pretty heavy. I don’t have to work today, nor does my wife. We have a good kitchen and kitchen gear. We’re not wealthy, but we do okay enough that buying ingredients isn’t a problem. We don’t have kids, so we can choose our projects and project times.
So there’s a lot of lifestyle luck that goes into this, and I’m conscious of that. But there’s also an amount of choice. And sobriety is one of the things that’s giving me this choice. I wouldn’t be wrecked on Sundays or anything, but there were definitely Saturday nights that led to lost Sunday mornings. And different Sunday decisions when drinking was on the table.